Background

Monday, October 24, 2011

Word Study

Yopp and Yopp's article Ten Important Words Plus brought about something that was kind of familiar with, having to pull out certain number of words that I considered to be the most important for understanding the article. The only thing is, I was not introduced to it till late high school. I think this is a great thing to have younger elementary students do and get them in the habit of doing. If you can pick out the words that best represent a passage or portion of text then the more likely it is that you comprehend and understand what was being said. Even words you might not know are present and from context or asking someone, you are able to figure out what it was and the more you see it the more you can understand and use the word thus enhancing your vocabulary.

These are some other ways to incorporate word study/building into a center for kids:

This is for a kindergarten class using the alphabet, but this could also be adapted for higher grade levels

"Scoop and Spell"
This activity is great for almost any grade level. It works with spelling and on vocabulary!

5 comments:

  1. I chose to write my blog on this part of the reading as well. Similar to you I thought this was a great technique to get the children to learn new words in a fun way and also can be good for reading comprehension!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right this is such a great idea! I really like your artifact that you posted too about the word making center for students. This would be a great way for them to have a hands on experience while working on their vocabulary! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Scoop and Spell activity that you found is very interesting! I love the idea! I Googled it because I couldn't see the picture that well, and I was able to find the directions and some helpful worksheets to go along with it.
    http://grinchwiki.wikispaces.com/file/view/Scoop+and+Spell+1.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the scoop and spell activity! Thanks Maloriee for finding the directions and worksheets that go along with it! I'd love to try this activity sometime! I agree however with you Aubrie about not being introduced to this idea until high school. I think it is very important to learn this strategy early as it is beneficial to your comprehension as well as your vocabulary. This is a strategy I wished I had learned earlier. Due to my experience with this I in turn hope to encourage young children in my classroom to use this strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, they should teach this at a younger age than high school. I learned when I was in middle school and it really helped me on the TCAPS!

    ReplyDelete