Background

Monday, October 3, 2011

Phonemic Awareness

To be a reader that has phonemic awareness you have to be able to recognize, hear, and manipulate phonemes (the smallest unit of sound).


Hooked on Phonics was a tool I used when I was a child to help with my progression through phonemic awareness. I struggled with my phonics, and my Kindergarten teacher would work with me as much as she could. Then at home I would practice with my parents and hooked on phonics. I would read books like Dr. Seuss and nursery rhymes and they would help my with identifying phonemes and syllables. In the articles by Clark and Yopp, they discuss other ways to help readers to develop phonemic awareness skills. They both emphasize activities that get kids interactive  with having them clap syllables or reading aloud. This got me thinking what are some other activities we could do as teachers for phonemic awareness?



The website Reading Rockets has become one of my favorite go-to websites for ideas. It offers ideas for both teachers and parents on phonemic awareness and other learning areas.



2 comments:

  1. Reading Rockets is fabulous. I wish I had known about that when I was in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed looking through the Reading Rockets site and will definitely keep this in mind for my future class! You asked for some other ideas for activities that teachers could use in the classroom and I thought I'd share this site that I found with you! Check it out! Phonologicalawareness.org.

    ReplyDelete